11 Aug SES Awards Finalists
Highland Tourism CIC shortlisted for Social Enterprise Scotland Award.
A community interest organisation which formed only six months ago has been shortlisted for a prestigious award. Highland Tourism CIC has been selected by the Social Enterprise Scotland Awards in the category, ‘One to Watch’. The organisers have cited ‘the mission, purpose and impact delivered’ as reasons for the shortlisting.
Highland Tourism impressed judges with a variety of actions that they have delivered in a very short time, including:
- Facilitating a unique opportunity for communities, individuals and businesses to work together for the greater good of the wider community in the Highlands
- Driving a world leading sustainable vision and mission for the Highlands
- Working together with Highland Golf Links and will shortly be working together with a range of other sector groups
- Securing the backing of Drew Hendry MP and at a Tourism Hustings they facilitated, securing the support of all politicians that believe the Highlands must have a strategic vision and believe the energy of the wider community will make the biggest difference.
Highland Tourism also has the support of international tourism specialist Professor Terry Stevens as well as Slovenian Tourist Board Consultant Advisor Misa Novak – Slovenia was designated as ’the first green country’.
Highland Tourism Chairperson, Yvonne Crook, said: “We have funded all activity to date through donations from businesses and will shorty launch a crowdfunding campaign aimed at generating a further £50,000 of funds to enable funding generation through other sources. This award shortlisting is an incredible recognition of the hard work the community interest company has delivered to date.
“We aim to create a vibrantly sustainable and resilient Highland community post Covid pandemic. This shortlisting for a Social Enterprise Scotland Award is national confirmation that we are moving in the right direction to achieve our target for the Highlands to become one of the world’s leading sustainable destinations.”
The Annual Social Enterprise Scotland Digital Awards 2021 event will be hosted on November 2nd and will be a blended event with a reception at the Scottish Parliament and a digital celebration.
Highland Tourism achievements to date:
- Implemented a programme of communications with key stakeholders including www.highlandtourism.org
- 40 Ambassadors supporting the aims of Highland Tourism
- 10 communities on board
- 7 passionate, experienced and energetic board members
- Employed University of the Highlands and Islands Sustainable Tourism Student
- Hosted a Hustings where all politicians agreed the need for greater decentralisation, business and community empowerment, support connecting better with residents and businesses in hearing their views and involving them more closely in economic decisions, helping communities who were described as ‘voiceless’ to be more involved and addressing the vital need to make the industry more attractive to young people.
- Signed up to the UN World Tourism Organisation Sustainable Goals
- Developed www.HighlandTourism.org – Communications tool for all tourism stakeholders
- Secured the support of Professor Terry Stevens, International Destination Specialist and sustainable destination expert from Slovenia (the first green country), Miša Novak.
- PR sponsorship – The Kane Partnership
- Sustainable Consultant sponsorship – Practically Green
- Working in partnership with Zero Waste Scotland
- Part of the Tourism Futures Coalition
- Approved participant in the Tourism Declares initiative